Sunday, February 7, 2010

Ingrown Toenail?

A friend of mine has an ingrown toenail and it is a chronic condition. She can't really afford to get the nail removal surgery every six months and the crap that they put on her toe(I assume it's NaOH or Phenol) doesn't work on her, however unlikely that sounds. I know that prices are different for every doctor everywhere, but I'd like to know what some of you have paid for a matrixectomy(The matrix is where the nail grows from) or similar procedures. I just need to form a ballpark figure. She's desperate and I need as many people to help me as possible.





Thank youIngrown Toenail?
Does the doctor put the solution on more than once? If not, then the doctor messed up. She should NOT have to have it done more than once every six months.





The podiatrist I went to said 3% of the population can have a recurrence because they are immune to the solution. I'd find out if there are other solutions.Ingrown Toenail?
there are special long, narrow clippers that are designed to reach in and clip the ingrown nail. i have ingrowns on both my big toes. these clippers are heaven sent as long as i clip them every month. it might hurt and bleed at first digging them out but it gets better after a while
i had a chronic case also and my doctor said i had to get surgery in a week and to NOT TRY AND FIX IT. well i though how bad can it be right? so i took some tweezers knives and a razor blade along with a pair of toe nail clippers and got digging.... don't try this i ended up is massive pain and had to get surgery early :)
my daughter had to have the matrix thing done about a year ago on her left great toe, i was unaware it was called that, anyway, our insurance covered it but the cost in PA at a hospital, she was put under general anesthesia because she was 6 at the time and the grand total cost was just under $5,000.00 and i think our deductible for the O.R. was either 200.00 or 250.00. the anethesiologist was around 400.00 and it was a teaching hospital so we were charged an additional 150.00 possibly 175.00 for student nurses and doctors to observe.
Usually a doctor will cut away the nail and apply a medicine that kills the growth of the matrix in that area.
I feel for her!





I went through a HORRIBLE phase of that, about 2 or 3 years ago. It was my big toe that would get infected.





I was only 11 at the time, so it really hindered my ability to partake in activies a regular kid enjoys.





I had the procedure that only temporarily fixes the problem, in hopes that the body will fix it itself. Although, it never did, so we decided to go ahead and do the permanent procedure, (the matrixectomy).





it cost about $500 CDN, I beleive. I'm only 14, so I'm not sure what my mom paid.





good luck!
I have had this trouble and an old timer taught me a better way to clip my nails. Instead of rounding or cutting them flat across the top. Make U shaped cut so the nail is higher on both ends when I did that the nails stopped growing into the sides of the toe.
  • c++
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment