Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do I treat/heal an ingrown toenail?

I have a painful ingrown toenail, so how do I treat it by myself?How do I treat/heal an ingrown toenail?
I did this many years ago to stop my ingrown toenail permanently.I had my toenail removed by a doctor, but it grew back, try this.








Take an emery board, and file across the top of your toenail, until the nail is soft on top, actually on the top, not the edge of the nail. (it will be a little tender for a day or two) Do this until you have a complete growth cycle of the nail (about a year, you will have to file it about every 6-8 weeks or so) It will make the nail stronger in the center, and weaker on the sides after a while, and the nails will naturally grown out of the skin permanently. Then have regular pedicures to keep the nails trim and filed to the right shape. (You can get cheap pedis at a nail school)





Soak it to keep that area soft, and make sure your shoes are not rubbing that exposed area.How do I treat/heal an ingrown toenail?
I have one at the moment, and been suffering for about 3 months. At first it REALLY hurt, and was pussing so i went to the doctor and she gave me antibiotic cream for it... she also said soak your foot in salt water and gently ease the skin away from your toenail wheres its ingrown... helps a little.


Mine kinda grew out on its own, and it hurts if someone stands on it, otherwise it just generally DOES grow out. :)





x
Cut a small ';v'; near the edge of the toenail next to the infected part. You might slant the ';v'; slightly toward the affected area. As the toenail grows out, it will pull away from the edge and will no longer be ingrown. If it is badly infected you may need to see a doctor, but if not, this should work. I've treated mine this way for years.
This website has very good step-by-step treatment instructions: http://firstaid.webmd.com/ingrown_toenai鈥?/a> with more information here: http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-t鈥?/a>





I would advise against the first answer, because the way I'm reading it, it's telling you to file away the thickness of your nail; while that may have worked for that person, it can lead to pain, infections, and permanently malformed and disfigured nails.





Try the home treatment in those two links above; if you experience no relief, go to your doctor. Also, if the nail becomes infected, go to your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment